Mason Lankford

John Mason Lankford Jr. (1921-1997), better known as Mason Lankford, is best known as a firefighter and Fire Marshal of Tarrant County (Fort Worth), Texas.  His dedication, service and promotion of the firefighter’s agenda are legendary.  In fact, the prestigious Fire Service Leadership Award of the Congressional Fire Services Institute is named for him. (1) (2) (3)

But Lankford is of interest to Kennedy assassination researchers as well, for reasons that follow.

John Mason Lankford was born on October 14, 1921 at Fort Worth, Texas.  His parents were John Mason Lankford Sr. and Grace Ward Lankford.   The Lankfords continued to live in Fort Worth throughout most of Mason’s youth, with the 1930 census finding the family residing at 3058 Wabash Avenue in that city.  In addition to Mason and his parents, the census return included a sister, Catherine (misspelled Katherine by the census taker), who had been born on December 13, 1925.  Mason Sr.’s occupation was listed as factory manager, while Grace was a church organist. (4) (5) (6)

Grace Lankford was more than a church organist, however.  She was a concert pianist of rare talent who had studied under Yves Nat and Ernest Hutchison in New York and had performed at numerous locations in the southwest including the Albuquerque and Fort Worth symphonies.  But Grace Lankford is probably best known for having been one of the founders of the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition of Fort Worth, an event that attracts the best pianists in the world to that city every four years. (7) (8) (9)

Sometime in about 1933 Mason Sr. and Grace were divorced.  Grace continued to live with the children, helping to support the family by giving piano lessons.  By about 1938 Grace had apparently married a man with the last name Read (she had begun referring to herself as Grace Ward Read), and the family moved to Hobbs, New Mexico.  But by 1939 Grace and the children were back in Fort Worth and Grace had resumed using the surname Lankford. (10)

The 1940 census finds Mason Lankford Sr. living alone in Fort Worth while Grace, Mason Jr. and Catherine were living at 508 E. Abram Street in Arlington.  This address was near the campus of North Texas Agricultural College (now known as the University of Texas at Arlington), where Grace had taken a position in the faculty of Fine Arts as a piano instructor. (11) (12)

Mason, aged 18, also attended NTAC, studying journalism. In keeping with his family’s musical talent he also played in the college’s band (instrument unknown). At the time NTAC was a military college, and Mason was a cadet. (13)

The whereabouts of young Mason over the next several years are unknown.  He does not appear in the 1941 edition of the NTAC yearbook.  The 1941 Fort Worth city directory shows a John M. Lankford working as a bookkeeper at a garage in that city, but this is likely Mason’s father, who had experience as a bookkeeper. (14)

The NTAC yearbooks for 1942 or 1943 – which would have been Mason’s graduating year – are not readily available online, so it is not clear whether Mason began attending classes at this institution again.  It is interesting to note, however, that NTAC, in addition to being a military college, was a part of the V-12 Navy Training Program during WWII.  As such, the college offered courses leading to commissions in the Navy and Marines – and it is certainly possible that Mason may have been involved in this or a similar program. (15)

Navy muster rolls do show a John M. Lankford who served during World War II, but it is not unambiguously clear that he is identical to the Mason of this research effort.  Nevertheless, given that Lankford is known to have been an agent for the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI), it is reasonable to think that he may have achieved this position during his WWII military service, and that, because of the secretive nature of this service, his records are classified.

We do not catch up with Mason Lankford with certainty again until he appears in the Fort Worth City Directory for 1949 (probably reflecting surveys done in 1948; unfortunately the 1948 directory is not readily available).  Mason was then residing with his mother at 2211 West Magnolia Avenue in that city.  He was noted as being an employee of the firm CVAC (Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation, or more euphoniously, Convair Corporation), a firm that was to merge with General Dynamics Corporation in 1953 to become one of the largest defense contractors in the world. Lankford’s association with Convair appears to have been agreeable since he continued his employment with General Dynamics until 1972 in security related positions up to and including the position of Director of Security. (16) (17) (18)

Now the neighborhood into which the Lankfords moved was—to understate the matter — an interesting one.  The Lankford residence was, for example, only a few blocks away from 1809 Eighth Avenue, the boyhood home of CIA asset David Atlee Phillips and his brothers.  Although the Phillips family had not lived there for some time (they had moved to a more exclusive area near the Rivercrest golf course), the neighborhood would certainly have been familiar to the Phillips boys (indeed, the older boys would more than likely have attended Lily B. Clayton Elementary School which was located just across the street and a block or two north from their residence).  Even in later years, several of the Phillips boys lived nearby: James Young Phillips (aka James Atlee Phillips, aka Philip Atlee), in fact, according to the 1943 City Directory, lived at 2329 Mistletoe Avenue, right in the neighborhood.  Brothers Edwin T. and James Olcutt Phillips also lived nearby according to several editions of city directories of the time (and yes, there were two brothers who called themselves James).  David, although he appears in no contemporary directories, was at least present in Fort Worth when he married Helen Haasch, an American Airlines stewardess, on June 5, 1948. To round out the picture, Phillips’ mother, Mary, a widow, was, at least in 1945, living near the Rivercrest area at 3532 Dorothy Lane.  Next door lived Guy Richardson Pitner, an accomplished pianist and organist whom Grace Lankford would certainly have known. Another of Mary’s neighbors was a Russian émigré named Peter Paul Gregory who lived at 3513 Dorothy Lane.  Gregory was, of course, later to become closely associated with Lee and Marina Oswald when they returned to Fort Worth from Russia in 1962.  (19) (20) (21) (22)

But Peter Paul Gregory was not the only native Russian speaker in south-central Fort Worth during the immediate post war years.  There was also Gali Clark – the Princess Scherbatoff – who lived with her husband Max Clark at 608 Eighth Avenue (nine blocks north of the Oswalds) during the late 1940s.  Although there is no record of the Lankfords having associated with the Clarks at this time, the two families were certainly, in later years, very close. Max Clark, for example, was for some time employed at the Security Division of General Dynamics, where he would have worked closely with Mason Lankford. Further, Catherine Lankford Russell (Mason’s sister), seems to have been instrumental in placing the Romanian pianist Radu Lupu as a guest in the Clark household during the Van Cliburn competition of 1965. Max and Gali Clark were also to become involved with Lee Harvey Oswald in 1962-3.  (23) (24) (25)

And this brings us to undoubtedly the best known resident of Fort Worth’s Eighth Avenue, Lee Harvey Oswald himself, who, in 1947 and 1948, lived with his mother Marguerite, his brother Robert, his half-brother John Pic, and for a time at least, his stepfather Edwin Ekdahl, at 1505 Eighth Avenue.  In one of those coincidences that seem to pop up everywhere that Lee Harvey Oswald is concerned, this address is only three blocks from 1809 Eighth Avenue, David Atlee Phillips’ boyhood home, albeit some twenty years earlier. (26)

And so here comes a theory, take it or leave it. With the cozy confluence – in 1947-8 — of  Lee Harvey Oswald and some of his 1962 acquaintances, one might be justified in wondering whether the associations tying this group together might have begun in this much earlier period, and not in 1962-3.  True, Lee was only a first grader.  But young learners of a new language are the most likely to acquire an accentless pronunciation.  And so, this combination of intelligence agents and native Russian speakers might have sought a precocious youngster and begun to teach him Russian, with expectations that he might in years to come become of use in the then blossoming Cold War.

Be that as it may, it should be noted that less than a block south of the Oswald residence was 1601 Eighth Avenue.  According to the 1947 City Directory, this was the address of Lee Harvey Oswald’s first grade homeroom teacher, Lois Lowrimore (sic, not “Lowimore” as Warren Commission documents misspelled her name). Young Lee would have had to pass right by Lois’ residence on his way to Lily B. Clayton Elementary School.  Who knows, Lois might have held Lee’s hand from time to time as they crossed 8th Avenue on their way to class. (Lois did not remain a teacher in Fort Worth for long, however.  She resigned from her position, and on January 2, 1948, married Jesse Ray “Ray” Martin, a veterinarian from Coleman, Texas.) (27) (28)

Now there is something interesting about Lois Lowrimore.  She may have been an acquaintance of Mason Lankford’s sister, Catherine. Lois and Catherine were the same age and attended the same college, North Texas Teachers’ College at Denton (now the University of North Texas), at the same time. We see the two young women, as if by magic, on page 70 of The Yucca yearbook for the year 1945, Catherine just two rows above Lois.  Perhaps if class seating assignments were arranged alphabetically, Catherine and Lois might have sat next to each other in some long-ago classroom. (29)

But let us get back to Mason Lankford.  At some point after 1949 he moved back to Arlington, although he remained employed at the Convair Division of General Dynamics in Fort Worth.  During this period Lankford also advanced his career in firefighting, becoming president of the Tarrant County Volunteer Firefighters Association in 1951, a position he held almost continuously until 1976.  On November 18, 1953, Mason’s father, John Mason Lankford Sr., passed away.  He was at the time an employee of Temco Aircraft Corporation, a large defense contractor in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  It is perhaps worthy of note that one of the largest investors in Temco, and a long-time Director of the firm, was David Harold Byrd, an oil magnate with many important political and business connections who was — most notably — owner of the Texas School Book Depository building. (30) (31) (32) (33)

Moving forward to the year 1956, two interesting employees – who were likely processed by Lankford’s Security Division — were hired by Convair in Fort Worth.  These two individuals were Lee Harvey Oswald’s brother, Robert Oswald, and Roscoe White.  White, of course, played a later role in the saga of Lee Harvey Oswald, having served in the Marines with him – on the same ship for a time – and having later become a Dallas police officer at the time of the Kennedy assassination.  Other assertions concerning White’s involvement in the assassination have been advanced, most intriguingly by members of the White family themselves, but are more controversial. It is almost certain, however, that White and Lee Harvey Oswald knew each other.

At any rate, in his capacity as security director, Mason Lankford provided verification of Roscoe White’s employment at Convair on White’s 1963 application with the Dallas Police Department.  White was confirmed to have been employed at Convair from May 8, 1956 to July 28, 1956, and was stated to be eligible for rehire – implying a positive recommendation.  For unknown reasons, White did not list this employment in his application; rather, a DPD investigator got the information from White’s stepfather and contacted Lankford directly for verification. (34)

(Note that some basic facts about Roscoe White were mistranscribed by the DPD in their summarization of his employment record.  J. M. Lankford was rendered “J. M. Langford”, and Convair Corporation became “Corvair” Corporation.  These errors may be due to the blurred quality of the original document, which is difficult to read, but by no means indecipherable.  Interestingly, these errors crop up in other contexts as well, especially the misspelling “Langford”, which shows up so often that the cynic might regard it as disinformation rather than simple error. Indeed, the researcher is well advised to check under Langford as well as Lankford when investigating Mason Lankford as prospectus.  The erroneous “Corvair” also shows up occasionally, but nothing can top Vincent Bugliosi’s bizarre “Condar”.) (35) (36) (37)

Looking next to Robert Oswald’s employment at Convair, it is of note that there was at least a tangential relationship – maybe more – between the Oswald family and the upper echelons of General Dynamics Corporation.  This relationship came through Robert and Lee’s uncle (by marriage to Hattie Oswald), James Coker, who was an acquaintance and former business partner of major stockholder and long-time Director of General Dynamics, Joseph H. Himes. Intriguingly, Himes was also involved in the management of William F. Buckley’s Pantepec Oil Corporation, as well as having been one of Buckley’s closest personal friends.  (38) (39) (40)

1956 was also the year that Lee Harvey Oswald returned to Fort Worth from New Orleans.  Although he did not remain in that city for long before joining the Marine Corps, he did attend Arlington Heights High School for a short period.  Also attending that school at that time were Paul Roderick Gregory, son of Peter Paul Gregory, mentioned above, and the Hale twins, Bobby and Billy, sons of I. B. Hale, an associate of Mason Lankford and Max Clark’s at the Security Office of General Dynamics. (41)

The Hale family’s associations with Lee Harvey Oswald and other aspects of the Kennedy assassination are intriguing.  Bobby Hale (full name Robert Allen Hale), to begin with, had eloped with 16- year old Kathleen Connally, daughter of the future Governor of Texas and Dealey Plaza victim John Connally, in early 1959.  Only two months later, a pregnant Kathleen was killed by a shotgun blast in an apartment room occupied by Bobby and Kathleen.  The death was deemed to be “accidental” by a coroner’s jury. (42)

Bobby’s behavior a few years later, on the date of the assassination of JFK, was also suspicious.  According to his sister-in-law, Patsy Dorris Hale, upon Bobby’s hearing of the assassination he became “berserk” and immediately set out to find his father, I. B. Hale.  Father and son were both incommunicado for two days, unable to be reached by any means. On Sunday, November 24, however – after the death of Lee Harvey Oswald – Bobby showed up at Billy and Patsy’s apartment, “calm” and “subdued.”  Other episodes in Bobby’s life include the burglary of Judith Campbell Exner’s apartment in Los Angeles, his association with Charles Manson, and his sordid existence in the wilds of Alaska as “Papa Pilgrim.” (43) (44) (45) (46)

Lee Harvey Oswald also interacted with I. B. Hale’s wife, Virginia, a counselor at the Texas Employment Commission in 1962, when Lee was attempting to get a job in the Fort Worth area after having arrived in America after his two-and-a-half year stay in Russia. Warren Commission documents relating to this episode expend a great deal of energy trying to explain how Lee became acquainted with the Russian speakers Peter Paul Gregory and Gali Clark.  The first explanation was that he had been referred through the Fort Worth Public Library, where Gregory had been teaching Russian classes.  When that account did not pan out, the story switched to a referral given by the Employment Commission, although not by Virginia Hale, but through co-worker Annie Laurie Smith. Of course, as indicated above, Lee may, in fact, have been acquainted with the Clark and Gregory families for many years. (47) (48)

(Annie Laurie Smith, to give her some context, was one of the older, more experienced counselors at the Employment Commission.  She was born Annie Laurie Turner on October 8, 1906.  Her husband was English-born Charles Richard Smith, an employee of IBM Corporation.  She was the sister of Francis Cutler Turner, head of the Federal Highway Administration from 1969 to 1972, and one of the engineers behind America’s Interstate Highway system.  Annie Laurie Smith died in Hurst, Texas, on August 12, 1980.) (49)

Regarding I. B. Hale himself, besides being employed along with Mason Lankford and Max Clark at General Dynamics’ Security Division, he is known to have been an “ex”-FBI man who knew J. Edgar Hoover personally, and who, Patsy Hale contends, continued to perform secret missions for Hoover well after his official FBI retirement — indeed, while he was concurrently employed at General Dynamics.  I. B. Hale died somewhat prematurely at age 55 in 1971.  His obituary is notable for the wonder it expresses at the many roles Hale was able to play over and beyond his job at General Dynamics, particularly his sponsorship of many sports events such as the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce Football Rally and the Golden Gloves competition. (For what it’s worth, David Atlee Phillips’ brother, “James” Olcott Phillips, was a Golden Gloves heavyweight champion in the 1940s.) (50) (51)

Like I. B. Hale and Max Clark, Mason Lankford led a multifaceted life.  Besides his careers at General Dynamics and as Fire Marshal of Tarrant County, he held the position of Board Chairman of the Texas Board of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies; but more importantly, Lankford was a Special Agent for the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) in Dallas. And so we are left with the interesting observation that three individuals — Lankford, Clark and Hale — who were to play an important part in LHOs life (and events subsequent to his death) were all at one point described as having been the Head, Supervisor, or Director of Security at General Dynamics; that each seemed to have a lot of time for other ventures; and that each had covert connections with the FBI, ONI, or CIA.  Indeed, the suspicion is easily entertained that the General Dynamics job was largely a cover for other affairs, and not a genuine full-time position at all.  (52) (53)

Details involving Mason Lankford’s operations as an ONI agent are understandably sparse.  But at least one of his missions is documented: that of spying on the gay community in Dallas.  One of Lankford’s main informants, Robert Kermit Patterson, was a supplier of several written reports passed on to higher levels of the military over the years, detailing homosexual activities of young servicemen in the Dallas area.  Patterson also supplied information about having seen Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby together about three weeks prior to the assassination, although this identification is questionable.  (54)

Mason Lankford was also associated with the Secret Service through his “old acquaintance,” Texas-based SS agent Mike Howard.  Howard, of course, intersects with the JFK case in many ways, not the least of which was his having been in charge of securing Fort Worth during Kennedy’s visit there on November 21-22, 1963.  Of particular interest was Howard’s role in allowing agents under his charge to leave their posts and consume alcoholic beverages at the Fort Worth Press Club, and for several of them to spend additional hours at the nearby “Cellar” nightclub. (To this date – as of 2019 – Howard spins revisionist versions of these incidents, claiming, for example, that the SS agents weren’t really drinking alcohol; they were consuming ginger ale that looked like Scotch from a distance.  And although some of the agents did go to the “Cellar”, they only stayed for a few minutes; the coffee was bad, you see.) (55)

At any rate, Mike Howard called Mason Lankford to assist him in providing security for JFK’s Fort Worth visit, a task that involved both men’s attention for two weeks.  Neither man seemed concerned with the niceties of the Constitution or due process:  Howard’s procedure for dealing with those he deemed to be “loonies” was quick and easy – “I had their butts thrown in jail”. One is left to wonder who these “loonies” were, and how and to whom they were a danger.  (56)

Given Lankford’s position as Tarrant County Fire Marshal and his closeness to Mike Howard, one might reasonably suspect that he played a key role in the “Cellar” incident, for Lankford would seem to have been the most likely person to have supplied the firemen who replaced the Secret Service agents that were supposed to be guarding the President that night. As of 3:30 AM on the day of the assassination several agents reportedly were joking about the switch while still enjoying themselves at the club. (57)

Going forward to the day of the assassination itself, according to a narrative published by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 1993, Lankford was in a restaurant with his General Dynamics buddies (Clark and Hale?) when a patron rushed in with the news that Kennedy had been shot.  Lankford immediately contacted Howard, offering his assistance again.  Howard responded, “Hang loose. I’ll call you.”

Howard, according to the narrative, did not call right away.  And so, “frustrated and worn out, heartsick and physically ill, Lankford tumbled into bed that Friday night. For two days he refused to even get up to eat.”  Several interpretations come to mind.  Maybe Lankford was exhausted from his heavy workload.  Maybe he was overwhelmed with grief.  Maybe he was physically sick.  Or maybe he was very, very worried. (58)

At any rate, by Sunday morning, November 24, Lankford seems to have recovered from whatever ailed him.  Mike Howard called him once again to request that he accompany him along with the security team protecting Marina and Marguerite Oswald.  The site of their seclusion, the Inn of the Six Flags at Arlington, was said to have been chosen by Lankford himself (implying, perhaps, that Lankford was more in control than the official story relates?).

Also present at the Inn of the Six Flags was Robert Oswald, who actually shared a hotel room with Lankford.  Interestingly, in his notes dealing with this period, Robert refers to Lankford familiarly as “Mason”, suggesting that maybe the two had known each other in the past (although Robert repeats the curious misspelling of Lankford’s name as “Langford”). (59)

At some point around the period of the group’s stay at the Inn, Lankford is said (unfortunately, with weak documentation) to have received a telephone call from Lyndon Johnson.  If true, this might imply that Lankford had a more important role in the events relating to the assassination and its immediate aftermath than has been generally perceived.  (60)

Mason Lankford was also involved with Lee Harvey Oswald’s funeral and burial.  He seems to have been a “prime mover” in an attempt to have LHO’s body cremated rather than buried. This is reported by morticians Paul Groody and Allen Baumgardner, as well as by Robert Oswald.  In fact, the process went so far that cremation forms were actually typed up, although the Oswald family ultimately decided not to follow through with the procedure.  Why, it must be asked, was Lankford so eager for cremation? (61) (62)

At any rate, so ends Mason Lankford’s known involvement in the events immediately prior to and following JFK’s assassination.  Afterwards, Lankford returned to his usual occupations at General Dynamics’ Security Division, as Fire Marshal of Tarrant County, and presumably his position with the Office of Naval Intelligence.  As time went on, his position as Fire Marshal began to take more of his time and eventually what had been a volunteer position became a paid, full-time job. By 1972 Lankford had resigned his position with General Dynamics entirely.

Interestingly, the course of Lankford’s Fire Marshal’s career was not always smooth.  Much of his effort was directed toward allocating more money from the Commissioners of Tarrant County for the purposes of expanding, enhancing and professionalizing the county’s fire services.  The Commissioners, on the other hand, typically denied Lankford’s larger budget requests, and on one occasion admonished him not to drive the county’s red station wagon when not on duty. (63)

Lankford also found himself in opposition to various fire department chiefs and city officials in Tarrant County who claimed that he was an “empire builder” who was “trying to run the department for his own use and glory.”  One fire chief complained that Lankford had not instituted the training programs he was supposed to have established for the county’s cities. (64) (65)

In the end, however, Lankford prevailed, not just locally, but nationally.  Thanks in part to his political connections — especially his friendship with Congressman and Speaker of the House Jim Wright — Lankford was instrumental in establishing the Congressional Fire Services Caucus, the largest caucus in Congress with over 300 members. (66)

In the years that followed, Lankford continued his work promoting his fire services agenda, giving speeches and collecting funds for his cause.  It is not known whether, or for how long, he continued functioning in his intelligence role.  One unusual endeavor from 1980 saw Lankford involved in selling shelters designed for “atomic bombs in the bellies of B-58s” as sportsmen’s “tents”.  The B-58 was, of course, one of General Dynamics’ premier products.  Mason Lankford died on June 16, 1997, shortly after giving a speech at a firefighter’s convention in Galveston, Texas. (67)

Not much more regarding Mason Lankford’s life can be gleaned from public sources.  We are left with the outline of a figure whose dimensions are enigmatic and incomplete. Certainly, Lankford’s associations with persons and agencies that have long been of importance to assassination researchers make him an individual of great interest.  These associations include General Dynamics Corporation, Max Clark, I. B. Hale, White Russians like Peter Paul Gregory and Princess Scherbatoff, SS agent Mike Howard, and of course the Office of Naval Intelligence. Through his General Dynamics connections, Lankford probably knew such individuals as Frank Pace, Fred Korth, and possibly John Connally.  More intriguingly, he may have known the intelligence connected General Dynamics Director (and consummate Washington insider) Joseph H. Himes, the former business partner of Lee Harvey Oswald’s uncle, James Coker.  (Note: Joseph H. Himes died in 1960, so he was obviously not involved in JFK’s assassination.  It is open to reasonable conjecture, however, that he may have been a link to Lee’s mysterious intelligence connections.)

Be that as it may, the low profile that Mason Lankford has maintained with respect to the Kennedy assassination is peculiar. He is studiously avoided in most assassination accounts — the very essence of a “negative template”.   His name is not mentioned in the Warren Commission volumes at all.  Nor is he to be found in the index of Vincent Bugliosi’s Warren Commission redux, Reclaiming History.  Further, Marguerite Oswald names Lankford not at all in her account of the days following the assassination. Surely one must ask, “Why”? 

There is no doubt that Marguerite Oswald interacted with Lankford in the days following the assassination. Indeed, Paul Gregory’s 2013 New York Times article contains a photo of Marina and Marguerite at Parkland hospital taken by Mason Lankford (with the further implication, of course, that the Gregory and Lankford families were close, and have probably remained close, over these many years). And yet Mason merits not a mention from a woman who was an otherwise notorious name-dropper. (68)

The question must at least be asked whether Marguerite was herself complicit in her son’s intelligence entanglements.  And if so, were her erstwhile Fort Worth neighbors and near-neighbors such as Mason Lankford, Max Clark, Princess Scherbatoff, Peter Paul Gregory and David Atlee Phillips (not to mention Marguerite’s husband Edwin Ekdahl and her other sons, Robert Oswald and John Pic) involved as well? 

(Speaking of John Pic, it is clear that in his later years he felt guilty about something.  According to his pastor, Pic “believed he was a sinner who deserved God’s condemnation.”)  (69)

Be that as it may, let us mention one last connection between Marguerite Oswald and Mason Lankford.  This was through Fort Worth businessman and owner of the Star-Telegram, Amon Carter, for whose wife Marguerite Oswald had worked, and who Lankford knew well enough to have asked for, and received, contributions for his firefighting agenda. (70)

Alas, could we but peek more knowingly into the milieu of south-central and southwest Fort Worth in the years 1947-48 and again in 1956, we might learn some interesting things indeed.



(3) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, June 19, 1997, p 8 – 9, METRO.

(4) Texas Birth Index, Tarrant County, roll 1921_0009, certificate 66432.

(5) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, April 3, 1921, Section 2, p. 3.

(6) United States Census, 1930, Tarrant County, Texas, Fort Worth City, Ward 14, Enumeration District 220-65, Sheet 19A.

(7) Dallas Morning News, November 1, 1967, Section D, p. 6.


(9) New York Times, November 1, 1967.

(10) Dallas Morning News, February 26, 1939, Section III, p. 5.

(11) United States Census, 1940, Tarrant County, Texas, Fort Worth City, Ward 2,  Enumeration District 257-4, Sheet 1A.

(12) United States Census, 1940, Tarrant County, Texas, Arlington City, Enumeration District 220-13, Sheet 10A.

(13) The Junior Aggie (yearbook of North Texas Agricultural College), 1940, unpaginated, see appropriate sections.

(14) Morrison & Fourmy’s Fort Worth City Directory, 1941, p. 535.


(16) Fort Worth, Texas, City Directory, 1949, p. 635.


(18) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, June 19, 1997, p 8 – 9, METRO.

(19) United States Census, 1920, Tarrant County, Texas, Fort Worth City, Ward 8, Enumeration District 135, Sheet 20B.

(20) Morrison & Fourmy’s Fort Worth, Texas, City Directory, 1927, p. 710.


(22) Fort Worth, Texas, City Directory, 1945, p. 338, 633, 634, 978.






(28) Abilene News Reporter, January 8, 1948, p. 8.


(30) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, June 19, 1997, op cit.

(31) Dallas Morning News, 20 November 1953, p 14. 



(34) (go to page 146).



(37) Vincent Bugliosi Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy (New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 2007), 549.

(38) New York Times, January 30, 1940, Business and Finance Section, p. 29.

(39) New Orleans Times-Picayune, January 25, 1935, p. 23.

(40) Priscilla L. and William F. Buckley, Jr. (ed.) W. F. B.: An Appreciation (New York: Privately Printed, 1950), 174-5.

(41) Arlington Heights High School Yellow Jacket Yearbook, 1957, p 59, 108.


(43) Patsy Dorris Hale and Wilma Martin Turner He Heard His Brother Call His Name (Patsy Dorris Hale, Privately Printed, 2013), 145-6.

(44) ibid. pp. 160-3, 222-4.


(46) Tom Kizzia Pilgrim’s Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier (New York: Crown Publishers, 2013).




(50) Hale, p 9-10.

(51) Dallas Morning News, May 17, 1971, Section B, p. 2.


(53)  See p. 4 and following.

(54) ibid.


(56) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 23 November 1993, p 15 METRO.


(58) Fort Worth Star-Telegram, 23 November 1993, op. cit.


(60) Jim Marrs, Michael H. Price, et al, Oswald’s Confession and Other Tales from the War (Cremo Studios, Inc., 2012).

(61) Galveston Daily News, 22 November 1981, p 5A.

(62) Bangor Daily News, 8 September 1980, p 23.

(63) Dallas Morning News, December 9, 1964, Section 1, p. 4.

(64) Dallas Morning News, December 14, 1969, Section AA, p. 6.

(65)  Dallas Morning News, January 16, 1975, Section A, p. 14.


(67) Dallas Morning News, January 13, 1980, p. 60.


(69)  San Antonio Express-News, November 22, 2013, internet edition.